Are you a user of the generator transfer switch? Do you have no idea How To Use A Generator Transfer Switch? You may have searched a bundle of articles to learn about this gadget, but no need to explore more!
We are here to assist you to sort out your every problem regarding this issue.
Dear friends, to learn about it in straightforward detail, you need to go through this article from top to bottom.
We use a generator transfer switch in case of an emergency if we run out of electricity. It helps us face things in an emergency and comfort us with its reliable facilities.
A transfer switch generator is placed near our circuit breaker. The main breaker in the transfer switch helps in converting the power source from the electrical grid to the generator.
Let’s dig into it to know more about it!
How To Use A Generator Transfer Switch-Detailed Usage?
No doubt, a generator transfer switch can be dangerous and frustrating if you have no idea about using it.
We know that it helps us move our electrical grid to the generator if we run out of power. The transfer switch contains several circuits, and you can connect these circuits to multiple loads.
The best thing is that it does not only connect to one switchboard but can be connected to various boards, e.g., fridges, ovens, air conditioners, and many more. What else do you need!
You can use it by following the given steps:
- Put off all the circuit breakers in the transfer switch and carry your generator out.
- Link the generator cord to the transfer switch.
- Start the generator and let it warm up.
- Turn over the main breakers in the transfer switch to the generator position.
- Power up the circuits you want to power, one at a time, to prevent the generator from being overloaded.
How To Install A Manual Transfer Switch?
You will be surprised to know that manual transfer switches are more affordable than automatic generator systems.
Besides this, the manual transfer switch is easy and quick to use, convenient to handle, and provides you with reliable generator power.
It supports only a few appliances that can be connected to this generator.
A well-informed homeowner can install a manual transfer switch, but we suggest you consult your owner’s manual. There are a few steps to follow for installing a manual transfer switch:
- Turn off the home power and connect the transfer switch wires to the breakers in the panel box you want to control.
- Connect an electrical cable from the panel box to the manual transfer switch for a portable generator.
- For testing your work, you can turn off home power.
- Connect the generator to an electrical wire in the transfer switch.
- Flip the transfer switch from the electrical grid to the generator. Then, turn on the manual generator.
- If the connected circuits to the manual switch start working, then it means that your generator is working accurately, and you have installed a manual transfer switch for the generator.
If this method does not work, consult the owner of your generator.
How To Wire In A Generator Transfer Switch Diagram?
Let’s take a look at the process step-by-step.
- Mount the transfer switch close to the main electric panel.
- Pick up to 10 circuits that are powered by the generator.
- Switch off power to the house.
- Take off the cover on the main electric panel.
- Now it is time to put a knockout hole on the electric panel; remove the plug.
- Join the cable to the electric panel.
- Link the neutral wires and ground. The link can be done from the appropriate bus bars and transfer switch.
- Place the first circuit by the generator and take off the power wire on the circuit breaker.
- Use non-metallic wiring (10-3) to link a power inlet outside to the transfer switch.
- Use the given generator cord to link the power inlet to the generator.
- Make sure the generator has fuel and oil inside; later, get the generator started.
- If you want to test the wire’s connections, you can flip the switches from “Line” to “Gen.” The generator should power the selected circuits.
See More Articles:
For complete guidelines watch the full video.
Renewablecop is is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more